Halton Healthcare is required to maintain an accurate and complete medical record, which includes the retention of X-Ray films as per regulation #965 of the Public Hospitals Act, as well as to adhere to the regulation of the Personal Health Information Protection Act (Bill 31). Diagnostic Imaging films/images may be loaned out to physicians or institutions for the provision of continuing patient care. Patients may also purchase copies of their images for personal reasons. Costs can be estimated by calling the Image Library (48 hours advance notice required). Payment for these duplications must be received in advance.
Please follow these steps:
- Patients who wish to borrow previously reported films for a consultation outside of the hospital must contact the Image Library at least 24 hours in advance. However, in an emergency situation, all attempts will be made to expedite requests. Patients can pick up films/images from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm at the Milton site from 8:00 am to 9:00 pm at the Oakville site and 8:00 am to 8:00 pm at the Georgetown site.
- Persons who wish to borrow films/images must provide:
- Valid identification [i.e. driver’s license/health card]
- Their name, address and telephone number
- The name, address, and telephone number of the physician to whom the films/images are going.
- A letter of authorization or a copy of power of attorney if the films/images requested belong to another adult other than the person picking up these films/images.
- For children under the age of 16, films/images may be picked up by their parents/legal guardian with valid ID.
- Borrowers must sign a Consent for Release of Information and assume the responsibility for the return of these films within 14 days.
- No original films pertaining to a medical/legal or legal case will be loaned out. Only duplicates of these studies will be allowed to leave the hospital. All costs for duplication will be borne by the patient or his/her legal counsel. All payments must be received prior to duplication.
For more information about borrowing films/images and/or pick up times please call our Image Library during normal working hours.