During Wave 1 of the COVID-19 pandemic, and in anticipation of increased demand on hospital resources, Halton Healthcare built two internal field hospitals in existing shelled-in space at Milton District Hospital and Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital.
In response to rising COVID-19 cases, the province initiated a GTA Hospital Incident Management System (IMS) structure to monitor hospital capacity needs across the region in real time. The GTA Hospital IMS is a single regional decision-making body with the authority to move patients to and from hospitals. Both our field hospitals support the health care system as a whole with capacity for additional patients.
Internal Field Hospital Facts
- MDH Internal Field Hospital – up to 12 beds, opened in June 2020
- OTMH Internal Field Hospital – up to 40 beds, opened in December 2020
- Used for short-stay, stable patients
- Not used to care for COVID-19 positive patients or for those under investigation for COVID-19
- Using existing space inside the hospitals provides better access to infrastructure and support services such as clinical staff, diagnostics, pharmacy, lab and food service
Click here to read more about Halton Healthcare supporting the provincial pandemic response.
Click here to watch a short video about our internal field hospitals.